Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Seed Batch #1






I know this is not the cheapest way to begin growing seeds, but with the lack of free time right now I felt this would be the best alternative.  I purchased a Jiffy growing tray with 72 seed starting pods.  These were all planted on 2/25 indoors.

Cantaloupe - Hale's Best Jumbo

Watermelon - Congo

Tomato - Brandywine

Squash - Dixie Hybrid

Carrot - Danvers #126

With the exception of the squash, the other seeds are heirlooms.  I believe heirloom seeds play an important role in improving self-sufficiency.  Remember, seeds from heirloom varieties can be planted to grow into the parent plant!

The plants will remain in the tray until all chances of frost have disappeared.  Many of these will go into the ground, and the rest will go into a hydroponics project.  Future posts will compare the results.

1 comment:

  1. Nice seedlings you have going. Man I have slacked. I haven't started mine yet. Gonna have to do that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete